Chongzuo City, Guangxi Province
Chongzuo City is a small city (by Chinese standards) in central Guangxi province, and very near to the border with Vietnam.
It is home to the scenery of the Karst mountains more synonymous with Guilin, and Yangshuo.
There are regular buses to Nanning (the provincial capital), Pingxiang (the border city of Vietnam) and Longzhou.
If you’re traveling by train Chongzou City connects with Vietnam via Pingxiang and Nanning. These trains are on the old Chinese network, not the CRH, with journey times taking almost 2 hours, although the trains are never full and the scenery is nice.
Like any Chinese city there is a decent bus network, but as a tier 3 city, it offers cheap taxis that start at about $1 per journey. Taxis are easy enough to flag down in Chongzou City.
What to see?
Chongzuo City is no Gulin, but there are things to see in Chongzuo if you happen to find yourself here.
- Leaning Pagoda – Like the leaning tower of Pisa, but a Pagoda, in Chongzuo City, not Italy. Located in the middle of the river you will need to take a boat here for RMB 5
- Ningming – The Yangshuoesque village of Ningming can be visited as a day trip from Chongzuo City, where you can see the waterfall that’s on the border between Vietnam and China
What is there to do in Chongzuo City?
Aside from visiting nearby Ningming, there isn’t all that much to do in Chongzuo, although it is a city that is not only easy to walk around but has a relaxed safe feel to it.
What is there to buy in Chongzuo City?
There is nothing special to buy in Chongzuo
What should you eat in Chongzuo City?
- Vietnamese/Huang food – Being so close to the border there’s a lot of either Vietnamese or Vietnamese influenced food here.
- Food market – There’s a decent food market next to the bus station in Chongzuo
- Street food – The BBQ scene is pretty decent in Chongzuo
What should you drink in Chongzuo City?
Like any Chinese cities they have their own brand of Baijiu, but nothing worth writing home about. Liquan is the provincial beer you will see served everywhere.
There is no real bar scene to speak of, but lots of BBQ joints as well as KTV’s
Where to sleep in Chongzuo City?
Fairly sparse on the on the international brands front, although hotels of all standards and budgets can be found if you decide to stay the night in Chongzuo.
Getting away from Chongzuo City
After a day you will be ready to leave Chongzuo with your options being going south to Vietnam, or north to Nanning, and thus Guilin and Yangshuo.